Friday, October 24, 2008

Free At Last

So today Caleb got his splint/cast off and the pins pulled out of his arm. This was his last picture that HAD to get taken before he got the cast and everything off.
I was glad he was getting the cast off for a few reasons:
  1. No more having to pull up undies and pants every time he is done going to the bathroom
  2. No more buckling his seat belt when we get in the car
  3. No more baths having to drape his arm over the tub and wrapping it in a towel
  4. I don't have to "freak out" over every fall that he has (he has fallen multiple times by just doing something simple like WALKING)
  5. And five...the most important...HE GETS TO GO BACK TO PRESCHOOL!!!!!

All of the nurses were soooooooo nice. Each one was so sensitive to Caleb's fears. Poor baby...I KNEW this would happen. As soon as the cast was off and we were walking back to get an x-ray he started to whimper and cry that he didn't want me to leave him again in "the big room". (That was the room that the nurses took him to when he had his surgery and Gene and I weren't allowed to go back with him) He's going to have lasting effects from that just wait...

Not the best picture, I know. I was holding him and trying to take the picture at the same time. This was just one of the pins sticking out of his arm right before they pulled it out. His arm is still a little swollen and extremely stiff, but hopefully we will be back to "normal" within a few weeks. He did GREAT. Only some "scared" crying and a little "hurt" crying when they had to pull out a few stitches that were embedded in his skin. The stitches got stuck to the skin from some drainage and when she tried to cut them she got a little skin...ouch! Overall though things went great. I'm so glad this whole process is over and we can get back to the same old routine!

1 comment:

Jake and Madi said...

Yay! we're glad he's alright! what a brave kid.